At Johnson Dentistry, we believe in keeping you informed during each step of your treatment. We are especially concerned about ensuring that you heal properly following your treatment. We have provided some of our instructions for you on this page. You may receive additional information and instructions from our dentist when you visit our practice. For more information on our post-operative instructions in Bryan, Texas, and to make your appointment with Dr. John A. Johnson Jr., please call us at 979-774-7500.
When you receive a dental treatment that involves anesthesia, there are a few specific steps you should take. These include:
- Do NOT eat or drink anything for at least 8 hours before your surgery.
- Do NOT smoke for at least 12 hours before your surgery.
- Bring someone with you to drive you home from the surgery, and to stay with you for a few hours after your treatment.
- Do NOT wear any jewelry, contact lenses, or your dentures.
- Discuss any medications you are taking with our dentist to ensure that they will not interfere with your surgery.
After Wisdom Teeth Removal
When you have completed a wisdom tooth extraction, there are several things you must do post-operation to reduce the chance of infection or other complications.
- Immediately following your surgery, a gauze pad will be placed over the extraction site. Do NOT remove this pad for at least 45 minutes. When you do remove it, immediately discard it.
- Do NOT drink from a straw or rinse your mouth. This may dislodge the blood clot that has formed and disrupt the stitches in the wound.
- Limit your activities. You may resume regular activities the following day.
- Use medications to manage your pain as prescribed.
After Treatment for an Impacted Tooth
Your teeth can become impacted when there is not enough space for growth in the dental arch. After your impacted tooth is removed, you may experience mild discomfort and swelling. We recommend the use of the cold compress or ice pack to alleviate the swelling. Your doctor may also prescribe pain medication to relieve the discomfort. Please use this medication as directed. Avoid the extraction area and modify your diet for a few days to allow the healing process to progress.
If you have any questions about your post-operative care and instructions, please contact our office.